Saturday, May 10, 2014

First outing of 2014!

Yes, you read that right! The birds got to go out today, for the first time this year! Ironically, this time last week was still quite chilly and very, very wet. But the sun stuck around this morning and there was even a humidex factor...

The decision to go outside was taken just after we humans were done with our breakfast and realized that it was going to be a very hot day and I wanted to maximize the morning sun without it being too hot and by nine thirty, all the cages were out.

This was the first time we got to bring the flock out in all matching cages; I was a little concerned about the Red bellies' reaction to the aluminum travel cages, as a few attempts last year to put them into those cages didn't end so well (it was clear they preferred the wire cages we used at that time). But surprisingly both went in really nicely and Joey, in particular, seem to enjoy being in the cage outside. I was also a little concerned with Piper, and although he was somewhat nervous at first, he seemed to get quite comfortable as time passed on.

All in all, we were outside for over an hour and I think we could have pushed a little longer, but figured it was time for them to eat.

The lighting was harsh and with cage bars in the way, I figured it was best to try and take pictures with my cell phone, over my nicer camera, as it does allow me to get a little closer to the birds (so please excuse the poorer quality).











No comments: