Saturday, January 15, 2011

Step up!

I often read from parrot owners that one of the first thing their bird says is "Step up". Obviously, this has a lot to do with the fact that we've been told that it's a good thing to have birds know the "Step up" command and since we repeat it quite a bit, it's only logical that if a bird decides to talk, it's one of the things it's sure to pick up.

And while none of my guys are "big" talkers (some by choice since I know Petey has quite the extended vocabulary but chooses to not use it), of the few words they do say, "Step up" doesn't seem to be in their repertoire.

Well, when I let them out of their cages this morning I am 99% certain that Pixel said "Step up" before I had a chance to as I offered her my finger to step up on. The "up" part was quite clear, the "step" part still needs a tiny bit of work to be clear to anyone overhearing but not seeing why it was said.

No comments: