Saturday, August 27, 2011

The first day with Léa

Today was the big day, finally got to get my Cape girl.

We left home around 9:30 and got to the breeder's shortly before noon. When we arrived, Léa was out in the play gyms and wasn't too thrilled about being plucked down from her spot. I did hold her for a bit but since we wanted to get home earlier rather than later, she quickly was put in the Kings Cage travel cage. I had put a few foot toys in one of the bowl, however I didn't expect her to really play with them. Turns out they were a success and they kept her busy for most of the car ride back home.

The car ride itself went well. Other than the occasional bump in the road which troubled Léa's stability a bit, all went smoothly. The breeder had given a few sprouts for the way home and Léa did eat some of them. But she spent most of the time either playing with the foot toys, which were mostly strung up beads, or requesting her head/cheeks rubbed. In fact, during the last half hour it's all she wanted.

Once home, I had her out of cage for a bit, offered a bit of formula, although she mostly made a mess than really eat it. I did put her in her cage early on, but I stayed in the room (my bedroom) to check out how she was in the cage before leaving her on her own. She ended up exploring, playing with a toy and drank quite a bit of water (which made me happy). Eventually, she decided that trying to take a bath in the small water bowl would be fun and managed to get the bottom of the cage more wet than she was.

She also tried out the large Wingdow (which was moved to give her something to do in that room) and she seemed curious about the world outside.

After having the regular flock out for a bit and when came time for diner, I did offer Léa the same as the other birds got for diner - Avian Organics Quick serve. She didn't seem too keen on it but was making hungry bird noises so I broke down and made her a bit more formula, since this was her first day away from the home she's known for the last two-three months. Again, she barely ate any but once it was offered, she stopped the hungry bird noise and just proceeded to play with some foot toys. In fact, I had brought her a small basket full of them and had them out of the cage while I was in there with her and she was happiest while sitting IN the basket, amongst the toys. She also did cuddle for a bit. I did look through some of the food offered in her cage and there was sign of some of it being eaten so that's a good sign..that and the fact that she's still pooping plenty.

We'll have to work on her "step up" command. However, she's been trying more and more to do so each time I requested it from her so I don't think it'll take much time to have done really well.

Here are some pictures of Léa taken when we got home.

On her Wingdow

On top of her temporary cage

Finally, after her "half bath"

My two favorite pictures..

I did take a few videos on the way home as well as one or two after we got here, but I'll be sharing those later on.

1 comment:

violetpie said...

She's such a little beauty...and looks so happy. Glad she's with you now!