Sunday, October 21, 2012

Léa's new cage is all set up!



Well, not really...

Since I wanted to give her a chance to settle in it before crowding her too much, I only added a few toys at first. In fact, since I took these pictures earlier this morning, I already added two toys that she used to have in her previous cage. As well, as she gets more and more comfortable, I might move things around and add more things as I figure out what configuration will work for her. But for now, I think it's a nice start.



Her new cage was made by Expandable Habitats (EH) out of type 304 non magnetic stainless steel. It's 42" wide by 30" deep and I'm not quite sure of the internal height. I chose one of their "small cage" models as I like the look with the shelf at the bottom best and I find having the bottom higher up makes it easier to clean. In any case, the height seems about the same as her previous cage and she gained space in the other two dimensions.



I made the choice of going with a stainless steel cage because Léa has started stripping the powder coating away from the bars of her old cage - this is a much safer alternative for her. It was quite funny seeing her trying to get around her new cage at first; the stainless steel is seemingly more slippery than her old bar cages were so she was a bit unsure of them at first. However, as she gets used to them I'm sure she'll enjoy sliding down the sides of her cage.

Client service at EH was also pretty great - on top of answering every little question I had along the way, once it became apparent that the production/finish/delivery of my cage was going to be delayed, Tricia offered to add in either some of their skewers or an additional stainless steel bowl and holder for free (I went with the bowl).

I'll probably give a more exhaustive review of my cage after I've used it for a little bit, but so far I'm quite pleased with it, and, most importantly, Léa does seem to enjoy it quite a bit. I didn't really have space to keep her old cage and this new cage side by side so she could get used to it at her own pace and, luckily, she didn't seem to frazzled about having to get used to the new cage "cold turkey".

Finally, here are a few pictures of the inside of her cage; please keep in mind that I've used my wide angle lens, which makes things look wider and distorted. While the cage is quite big, the wide angle lens makes it appear rather empty.


Left hand side; includes an Oliver's Garden platform perch on the door, a pedicure perch, her Grey feather toys Megaphone toy, an ocotillo perch from Things for Wings, a skywalk perch from Oliver's Garden, a few toys (homemade and from Things for Wings), her swing from Crystal's Bird Toys (which needs some replenishing) and her pellet bowl.


Right hand side; includes a grapevine perch from Thigns for Wings, that same pellet bowl, a snugly from Things for Wings, Ruby Blue from Oliver's Garden, a rock perch from Birds on the Rock, two of the EH stainless steel bowls, a rope perch and the Big Beak Bop toy from Crystal's Bird Toys.

No comments: