Sunday, November 18, 2012

Wood!

My latest toy making craze has left me with with nearly empty bins, namely the one in which I had piles of pine slats which I had ordered a while ago.

Seeing how those should be easy enough to make, I always thought that down the line I'd invest in a saw and drill press and make them myself. Unfortunately, we are still far away from being able to set up such a work station but, if I am to continue to make some homemade toys, I needed more pine slats.

And this is where the generosity of Crystal from Crystal's Bird Toys come in.

In exchange for my photography services whenever she'll have more new toys to take pictures of for her website, she has let me use her saw and drill press. So yesterday, after buying a few 2x3x4s and 1x1x4s at Home Depot, I spent an evening at her place sawing and drilling.

This is what I got after all of my hard labour -



Bin containing the pieces from the 2x3x4. There is two full sets of rows below the last partial one at the top.



I cut the slats in two different thickness; the thicker one being around 1/4".



Bin containing the pieces from the 1x1x4. There is one full set of rows underneath the one at the top.



I also cut these in two different thickness trying to have the thicker ones be around 1/4" as well.

In the end, I did end up with less than I imagined at first, but there was no way I could have processed any more than I did last night. These should provide me material for a few toys and then I guess I'll have to start over again. But it does give an insight in all the hard work the smaller bird toy business do and a bigger appreciation for their finished product.

Thanks again Crystal!

No comments: